Last update that is...I've finally worked my way around my garden beds with update photos. After I've done this, I'll let you know how I'm going getting my brassicas in for winter. There was that small issue about killing off the melons. Anyway, here's the potato bed.
There appears to be a gap half way down the bed and that would be because there IS a gap half way down the bed. But its more complicated than that. The first half of the bed was planted before the garden open day (but still very late for me) - late October maybe. I usually try and get potatoes under straw in late August, early September. Anyway, after the garden open day - so I'm talking early December (!) I put in the other half the potato bed. Really, when I did that I was just experimenting. I don't even know if all is well under that growth at the back, and whether or not they'll finish growing in time for harvest. It seemed like it was worth a try because I had this half a bed allocated to potatoes - I just hadn't got around planting. So, we'll see. Certainly the potatoes at the front of the bed - just after the stawberry plants - look normal. Bulky, lush, green growth on top that covers the bed whereas the ones at the back are smaller and haven't all managed to grow.
Blogged with Flock